Only at Port Douglas does the untamed beauty of World Heritage-listed rainforest and the magnificent splendour of the Great Barrier Reef intersect with the finest dining and shopping.
A short scenic coastal drive north of Cairns international airport, Port Douglas is a once-sleepy fishing village grown into a much-loved international tourist destination buzzing with fashionable arcades, dozens of restaurants and cafes, and well-heeled shoppers from the world over.
Yet for all its luxury development, Port Douglas retains its charm. There are no high rises. Development is deliberately kept low key and below the tree line guaranteeing a unique seaside village ambience that is at once sophisticated and relaxed.
Around town, there’s always something to do.
Discover the history of a once-remote frontier town filled with itinerant seamen and gold prospectors, play a round of golf, stroll the village shops and galleries then stop for a bite at one of Port Douglas’ 65 eateries, cafes or restaurants.
Alternately, simply relax, soak up the balmy tropical climate and enjoy the beguiling beauty and sweeping white sands of Four Mile Beach.
Just outside of town, the spectacular rainforests of the Daintree and Cape Tribulation are home to some of the oldest forests in the world and unique flora and fauna. Whether you’re after an eye-opening night-time jungle adventure or a relaxing rainforest hike followed by a cool swim in one of the Daintree’s crystal-clear swimming holes, you’ll find it at Port Douglas.
And nowhere is closer to the natural coral gardens and colourful marine life of the Great Barrier Reef. The Low Isles — a lovely coral cay where you can snorkel and swim with green turtles — is only 13 kilometres from the Port Douglas marina. But, whether you’re interested in snorkelling, diving or fishing or simply feel like a lazy cruise across the reef, there’s a tour to suit every interest.
Fourteen essential Port Douglas experiences
- Immerse yourself in an amazing array of North Queensland Wildlife while enjoying the famous Breakfast with the Birds at the Rainforest habitat
- Enjoy an invigorating rainforest swim at Mossman Gorge.
- Take a leisurely stroll or relaxing jog on Four Mile Beach at dawn and watch the sun rise over the reef.
- Discover the nocturnal wildlife of the rainforest and go crocodile spotting on a thrilling ‘Dark Side of The Daintree’ night-time tour.
- Try a round of golf at one of the challenging 18-hole championship courses such as the Mirage Country Club.
- Swim with magnificent Dwarf Minke Whales on the Great Barrier Reef.
- Join a fishing tour departing Port Douglas Marina and chase the elusive Black Marlin with experienced game fishermen.
- Drift snorkel with the current across the Great Barrier Reef or down one of the Daintree’s spectacular rainforest streams.
- Enjoy a beer and a bucket of prawns while watching a spectacular tropical sunset at On The Inlet waterfront restaurant.
- Indulge yourself with an afternoon catamaran cruise with canapés and champagne.
- Hold your own Four Mile Beach seafood BBQ with the fresh-from-the-trawler fish and prawns bought from local suppliers.
- Stroll the Port Douglas Sunday Markets and sample the locally grown produce. The crushed sugar cane juice is a favourite!
- Hire a scooter and visit one of the dozens of the region’s secluded beaches, rainforest tracks or swimming holes.
- Pamper yourself and your partner with a luxurious Daintree day spa couples treatment surrounded by the relaxing sights, smells and sounds of nature.